Monday, May 26, 2008

I must say that interviewing kids is really hard.  They're never very honest.  The thing about them is they don't really say what they feel, they want to say what they think they're expected to say.  I might be wrong, but that's my theory based on experience and observation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids are kids, there's no escaping that fact. Because they haven't reached the point of critical thought that you and I have, kids are usually being honest with you when they don't give you an answer. Children know what they like, just not why.

Explaining feelings is a difficult task for kids. Think of it like this...

If you asked me WHY we people can do calculus, because I don't know, I would answer... Because!

Anonymous said...

Because I am both bored out of my mind and very very interested in your little quest for answers, I will give you some honest insight on how I would have answered your questions as a child. I have an excellent memory of how I used to perceive the world as a kid up untill around 4. At 4 and under I can only really remember how I felt during conflicts with people and I can only remember a few instances involving wanting toys.

Of course this is not the most scientific approach to understanding children's psyche, but I can give you a good understanding of how boys think in general.

Well to give you an idea of what toys I would play with I'll list some of my favorite toys from about 5-8.

-G.I Joes b/c my brother played with them and he was fascinated with all things military. Of course being the little brother if I were to play with him, I had to play with what toys he had.
Also the thing about G.I Joe that I was most fascinated by was the versatility of the toy (e.g you could customize your army man anyway you wanted) Of course the only way to play G.I joe is to reenact violent battles, but that wasn't the main appeal to me.


Another of my favorite toys was the little green army men that I played with also b/c my brother did.

another favorite thing to play with was this little toy town that I liked to mess with.

I also LOVED legos because I liked making crazy things and you could never run out of things to make.

I hope this helps